Tuesday, February 18, 2014

GROOMING THE WEST YELLOWSTONE TRAILS




SNOW PILES UP AS THE GROOMER ROLLS ON

GROOMING THE BIG SKY TRAIL BY MOONLIGHT

For several years I have been tinkering with the idea of riding on one of the big groomers on the Big Sky Trail.  The groomers are used to keep the snowmobile trails in the National Forest groomed so that the visiting snowmobile buffs will have smooth riding.

The groomers run at night.  Last Sunday night I met up with one of the groomers - climbed in the cab - and rode along while he groomed the Big Sky Trail.  I had heard about this trail but had no idea where it was or where it went.  Now I know.

There are some pretty awesome hills on this trail.  Riding in the groomer was amazing.  The snow piles up in front of the blade as you drive along at a speedy 3 to 5 miles an hour.  It forms a roll and begins to unroll itself right in front of you.  It almost looks like a roll of carpet that you are laying down on the trail.

It was a beautiful night will a big full moon.  You can see the moon in the bottom photo above.  It was very warm and the seats in the groomer are very comfortable.

Thanks to my driver for putting up with this old lady and giving me an experience I will never forget.












No comments:

Post a Comment